Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Evie Time {book worm}





This girl loves, loves to read. I can't tell you how happy that makes me.

I've loved to read for as long as I can remember... back to frequent summer trips to the downtown library with my grandma... flying through every Michael Crichton book my dad would let me read after seeing the midnight showing of Jurassic Park... laboring through Wuthering Heights when I was about 8... trying to figure out all the 17th century English language in The Last of the Mohicans in the 5th or 6th grade... begging my mom to buy me a fat new Christian fiction novel every.single.weekend at our local book store. I read fast, furiously and way above my age range and could always be found under my covers at night, deep into a book when I should have been fast asleep.

But this isn't all me- this girl and her books. Her daddy loves to read, too. And the thing is, with our busy days, we tend to do most of our reading in bed at night. Which means Evie doesn't necessarily see us reading. So this love of hers for books- it's all hers. 

We have always made it a habit to read to her, especially at bedtime. I started doing this regularly when she was about 3 months old. And I've made a promise to myself to drop whatever I'm doing and sit down with my girl any time she asks me to read to her. It's not always possible, but it's one of the few things I believe is always worth it. For both of us.

And now? Well now I find her at least 2 or 3 times a day like this. In some quiet spot in the house by herself, pouring over a book. And it makes my heart ache just a bit every single time it happens. 


Don't ever stop reading, baby. Read all you can, about anything and everything. You won't regret one minute of it. 



3 comments:

  1. Oh those are the sweetest pictures! I have always loved to read too. My dad used to say that I always had my nose in a book. It's the best to just escape into a story. I think it's awesome that you have been reading to her since she was born practically. I'm going to make note to do this when I have a little one someday!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! Strange or lovely or somewhere in between, lay 'em on me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...