Saturday, April 16, 2011

Officially a SAHM

Yep, that's me!

A Stay At Home Mom!

Well...

I was..

... for about 26 hours or so the other day...

:)


Here's the deal. When I was pregnant with Evie, I knew I didn't want to go back to work full time. Thankfully I didn't have to and after maternity leave I was able to go back part time. Make that two days a week and one from home. Total score. Totally blessed. Fast forward to Thursday afternoon, when we had a mandatory meeting and I had a feeling something was up. Basically our department was being completely downsized. They barely scraped by from getting the complete ax. That was my last day. I wasn't expecting to hear that, but neither was I totally shocked or devastated. I think I just had peace about our situation and where I should be- whether that was staying home full time with Evie or finding another part time position. But I did really like my job.. and my bosses.. and the flexibility. They are/were very family friendly and I know I had a good thing going. Not everyone is so lucky.

So yesterday, hubby and I were out to a late lunch and discussing what I should do. Neither of us wanted me to simply find another part time job just for the sake of a job. But at the same time, if I can be contributing financially in some way, I am more than happy to do so. I do, after all, still have some school loans to pay off. Ugh. And as much as I love being at home with my girl and always pictured myself as a stay at home mom, I must say it has been good for my sanity to get out of the house those two days a week. And, you know, talk to people who are able to sit up on their own and don't spit up on a regular basis.

Not long after getting home from lunch, my former boss texts me to see if I have time to talk. Okay... sure. Well, long story short, the one gal that they were financially able to keep on was fired on Friday morning. Seriously. For something totally unrelated and slightly unethical. I don't want to get into any specifics, but needless to say we were all shocked. She didn't do anything illegal or too morally wrong.. just not something she should do in our particular field. And she got caught. In her (slight) defense, I don't believe her intent was malicious.

ANYWAY...

So they offered me my job back. Just as it was. I took about 20 minutes to think about it and talk it over with hubby before calling her back to accept. I thought about asking for more money, but since funding was the reason everyone was laid off in the first place, I didn't think it would go over too well. :)

So after an oh-so-brief hiatus, it's back to the grind next week for me!

2 comments:

  1. So glad it worked out! I actually was reading about the layoffs in the paper yesterday and was hoping they didn't include you or Nina!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got to stay. What does this mean for Niner?

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! Strange or lovely or somewhere in between, lay 'em on me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...