Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Inspiration in blog land, of late.

This little blogland we're a part of is a funny place. So weird- you have "friends" that you may never meet or actually speak but that you feel you know and start to consider real friends. Ca-razy. I don't know about you, but when I first started my blog and started really reading other blogs, it was mainly for the inspiration I found in blogland. Beautiful pictures, funny stories, DIY ideas I wanted to try. I am a very visual person, so seeing gorgeous images of home decor, adorable kiddos, a refinished piece of furniture- that spoke to me. Inspired me. Got my creative juices flowing to get off my booty and start learning to take decent pictures, get out a can of paint, attempt to cook dinner or rearrange a room. Don't even get me started on what Pinterest brought to the game..

But lately the inspiration I've been finding has been more meaningful. It's been through words. And frankly, that's just what I've needed right now. Life is trying to throw me a curveball, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to go down swinging.

So.

I thought I would share a little of what has been inspiring and encouraging me lately, in terms of blog posts. Of course, my faith and trust are in Jesus alone, but it's always nice to come across something in another part of your life that speaks to you at just the right moment. And I don't doubt for a second that he's orchestrating it.

*  *  *  *  *

I love the way Shannon at Flower Patch Farm Girl writes. Always have, always will. She's very honest and witty and has a great way with words. Plus, her kids are too adorable for words.

She just wrote a post about this book out called 7: An experimental mutiny against excess by Jen Hatmaker.

BTW- be sure you read her hilarious letter the to author of the book, asking for a free copy. :)

The author gave up something huge, something important to her, each month for seven months. Big things, like clothes, food, spending, media..

But not in the typical way. Nope. For one month she only ate SEVEN foods. Seven. Another month she only wore seven articles of clothing. For a month. Seven.

I can't even wrap my mind around that.

The goal was to simplify. We have so much excess in our lives, it's not even funny. I'm not entirely sure I'll be trying this, even a little bit, but the idea is very, very compelling. It definitely got me thinking about what I waste my time doing and thinking about... Maybe I'll start with just reading the book :)

*  *  *  *  *



This was the first post I read of Jami's at Hello from the Natos.

WOW is all I can say. I couldn't wait to read more.  She's talking about infidelity and forgiveness in this post. But you don't have to have experienced that type of betrayal to benefit here, believe me.
It's the forgiveness.


An excerpt that rocked my sock's off (emphasis is my own):

"you are just as jacked up as your husband. your heart is so dark. you betray Jesus everyday and he still loves you. he doesn't wait for you to do enough to pay for your sins, so he can finally take you back. no. you enjoy grace and mercy and unmerited forgiveness. every day. actually, every hour.

and now, you get to be a mirror of the Gospel to your spouse. because what can they do to make up for defiling you in such a way? nothing actually. nothing would ever be good enough. would it?

so instead of making them work for your forgiveness, you start with forgiveness. you make a decision. and you make a choice to absorb the cost of that forgiveness.

it's very costly, isn't it?
that's why it's a gift. like the gift Jesus gave to us when he absorbed our sins and said, no more. i'm paying for this. the cost is too great. i'll give my only son.
expensive and extravagant.

and so when we forgive, we mirror christ's forgiveness. we pay the tab. we stop making our spouse pick up the check. we say, no more. you can't pay enough for this.

this is the Gospel lived out in a tangible way. you recognize the darkness of your own heart and see the need for Jesus to save you. and that gift that God gave you, you give to others because you are just as terrible. and i'm not going to lie, it is difficult and hard and grievous to walk these steps in front of you. but you can because Jesus did."

Wow, right? She's also hilarious, which is big in my book. I'm excited to read more. Like this. And this and this. So honest.

*  *  *  *  *

It's so easy to get caught up in what's around us.. distractions and interests that are fine, in and of themselves, but can take up too much of our time and energy if we let them. Which ultimately takes us away from our time with Him. Priorities, that's what it's about. I enjoy blogging and reading blogs, but I have to remind myself at times to log off. And I know I'm not the only one who struggles with it. But He meets us just where we are. Inspires us right where we are. And sometimes gives us a swift kick in the rear to jump start the whole thing.
Like today. Just as I was writing this post (and putting off doing actual work. That I get paid to do),
my internet connection went out. Done. Off. I kept pushing the refresh button on all six pages I had open, and nada. And as much as I wanted to blame Cox Communications, I knew it was God.  

Oh, I thought. Duh. Shut it off, Aja. Pray. Sing. Praise Jesus and do it now.

So I did.


Just the kick in the pants inspiration I needed today.


3 comments:

  1. Wow...very inspiring....I can't wait to read those post you suggest ...sounds like fresh and thoughtful & encouraging words of wisdom are to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post, and those are JUST the type of blogs I dig these days. I can't wait to read more of them....
    and you. =)

    And can I just say, WOAH to that last paragraph about infidelity...I need to sit and have deep thoughts about all that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. isn't it the truth! i love Jamie--she is hilarious and has such a great blog

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! Strange or lovely or somewhere in between, lay 'em on me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...