Sunday, November 7, 2010

Nursery 0.25: DIY Crib Skirt

Has the suspense been killing you, or what?? This baby has been finished and on the crib for about two weeks now, and I just love seeing it every time I go into the nursery. We did finally get the mattress and a fitted sheet placed as well. Progress!!

So here she blows:


In the beginning (you know.. months and months ago), I started taking a few pictures along the way for a quasi-tutorial, but that idea got scrapped pretty quickly.




Here's the thing folks- I really don't recommend this DIY project to anyone. Especially not anyone currently with child. If you are a real live seamstress with mad skills, go for it. But if you're just an overachiever, like me, my advice is to keep your sanity and your weekends to yourself and just go buy one. Or make one with any other fabric than silk. And ruffles.


My problem is that I have this weird, unfounded, overconfidence in my "project" abilities. I see something, or dream up something in my mind, and figure, sure! I can do that!

HMPH.


Sometimes it works.. sometimes it works after eons have gone by.. and sometimes I'm left with a half completed project that will never see the light of day. It's just how I operate.

But this baby? SUCCESS!!


If you recall, this started as an extra long curtain panel on extreme markdown ($8!!) at Tuesday Morning. And it's pure silk and was pure hell to sew with in the beginning. I think my sewing machine and Jesus finally had mercy on me about halfway through, because things did get a little easier. :)

I used the entire thing. The curtain lining was turned into the ruffle backing (only technical terms here, folks) and another portion of the lining was used as the flat piece that lays under the mattress.

So what do you think?

I only spent a total of 10 bucks with the cost of the curtain panel and thread!

I must say, I am very pleased with how it came out and pretty proud of myself for actually seeing it through to completion.

Now we can just wait for Tiny Dancer to arrive and hope and pray that she doesn't decide to projectile vomit on this gorgeous thing, because that will surely send me over the edge.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness it looks amazing! She is going to have such a gorgeous room! I am going to hire you to make my next child's crib skirt! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. to die for!! love it--and it's so pretty and girly! adorable~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would comment, but I just died and went to heaven. Seriously, saying things like "silk" and "ruffles" and "crib skirt" to me are basically like dirty talk. It looks absolutely gorgeous. Really, it is amazing, and even though you probably finished the crib skirt and told your husband when you have your next baby to "never let you do that again"; you sooooo have to. Beautiful.

    Oh, and my sewing machine hated me for only doing a gathered seam, so you, my dear, are quite a woman. Don't even bother with the epidural. You won't need it.....you have already survived giving birth.

    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great...a labor of love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks amazing!!! Does Janie not crack you up or what. Can we have a baby room tour before Tiny Dancer gets here???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks girls! I am hoping to have a full nursery tour before the baby comes.. but no promises!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get it girl! I think you rocked it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now this is just crazy gorgeous! You did a great job :) I'd love for you to add this to my Sweets This Week link party.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's beautiful! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is a gorgeous crib skirt! I'm going to bookmark this in case I ever have a girl!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! Strange or lovely or somewhere in between, lay 'em on me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...