Monday, April 16, 2012

Selling Stuff

So, I have some stuff I want to sell. Oh, sure, I have a side job where I already sell items with my mom in a local flea/antique store. But I can't very well take my barely been used leather handbag from Banana Republic there and expect someone to pay more than $16 for it. No bueno.

So that's where you come in. Do any of you sell stuff, like on eBay?? Mainly I want to unload some purses and clothing that I think I might be able to get actual money for. As opposed to my typical plan of action- drop off at the nearest Goodwill.

Right now I'm just trying to decide if it's worth it or not. I'm all for Craigslist for bigger items, like furniture, but I don't really want a bunch of people calling or coming to my home for this stuff. And, I don't know.. I would probably never look for a purse on Craigslist, but I know plenty of people do look on eBay.

So any advice? I've heard eBay has started to charge you more to list things.. is that true? I thought it used to be basically free.

I've also seen a few people sell stuff on their blogs, but I don't know about that. Probably no one would want any of my crap stuff, and then I would get super annoyed and give you the silent treatment.

Help a sister out! OR just offer to buy all of my stuff and send me a check, baby. :)

  

7 comments:

  1. i've never sold on ebay...but i personally know those that did!! (purses, clothes, shoes & misc. items ) they made moola too! guess it just depends on whose lookin on any given day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. eBay is great! I just sold a 4 year old pair of Chanel sunglasses that I paid $300 for, for $205. Pretty darn good return :) and they were clearly used.
    Anyhow, yes they do take about 9% of how much your item sells for. So I got charged about 18 dollars in fees. :((
    I would suggest doing a seven day listing and start lower than higher to draw interest. But ultimately it will depend on If your purse or whatever your selling is a 'desirable' item. Good luck! If you need any help let me know.

    Charlton
    Chachleigh@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy stuff on ebay but have never sold. It seems like too much of a hassle. I tried once, but got bored with the process:). I was also always worried that my item wouldn't sell and I'd end up having to pay the listing fee anyway. I sold 2 or 3 coach purses on CL when we moved a few years ago. I think they sold for $50-$80. You could try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've sold stuff on eBay before. I think it's pretty easy. It doesn't cost much to list the item, but the higher fee is the percentage they take from the sold price. FYI - they don't take a percentage of your shipping cost, so some people charge higher shipping and "handling" for that reason. Sometimes things sold for lower than I expected but sometimes higher. It definitely depends on the item. I always search eBay first to see if anyone's selling a similar item. That helps me figure out what to say in my description & how to price it. Payment's done through PayPal, so it's nice & easy. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried my very best to stay away from ebay... I tend to be a bit competitive and the need to win isn't good when ebay shopping! Brandon and I cleaned out our closets this weekend and I took a lot of our clothes, shoes and my purses to a consignment store. A girl I work with highly recommended it and so I thought I'd give it a try! I'll let you know how it goes, it may be another option to consider!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sell on eBay all the time but just so u know they do take a percent out of sipping cost also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of good places to sell are available online.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! Strange or lovely or somewhere in between, lay 'em on me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...